270-23-315 Construction Information
NORTH SIDE RAMPS OPENING THIS WEEK
By the end of this week, weather permitting, ODOT will open three ramps at the I-270/SR 315/US 23 interchanges, two of them brand new ramps:
- I-270 east to US 23 - Opens by 5 AM Thursday
- SR 315 south to I-270 east - Opens by 5 AM Friday
- I-270 east to SR 315 north - Reopens by 5 AM Friday
The graphic below illustrates how the new ramps opening this week will operate. Please note the project is not complete. There are more ramps and bridges to open this year. Final completion is still October/November.
Here's how traffic will be impacted this week in preparation.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 22
- 7 PM: I-270 east will be reduced to three lanes between Sawmill Road and US 23.
- 5 AM: All lanes open
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 23
- 7 PM: I-270 east reduced to three lanes between Sawmill and US 23.
- 7 PM: Ramp from SR 315 north to I-270 east/US 23 will be reduced to one lane.
- 9 PM: I-270 East reduced to two lanes between Sawmill and US 23.
- 9 PM: Ramp from I-270 East to SR 315 South will close. The detour is I-270 east to Cleveland Avenue to I-270 west to SR 315
- 11 PM: Ramp from I-270 East to US 23 will close. The detour is I-270 east to Cleveland Avenue to I-270 west to US 23.
- 5 AM: All lanes and ramps open, including the new ramp from I-270 east to US 23.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 24
- 7 PM: Ramp from SR 315 North to I-270 East/US 23 will be reduced to one lane.
- 9 PM: Ramp from I-270 East to SR 315 South will close. The detour is I-270 EB to US 23 to I-270 WB to SR 315.
- 5 AM: All lanes and ramps open, including the new ramp from SR 315 south to I-270 east and the ramp from I-270 east to SR 315 north.
I-270 eastbound drivers exiting at SR 315 or US 23 will have to choose their lane before Linworth Road. Make sure to read the signs.
The 23-270 portion of the project is nearing completion, view the latest update from the ODOT North Side Fix page.
315 Interchange Underway
Construction on the final phase of the North Side Fix, at I-270 and SR-315 is underway. As part of the project, the Olentangy Trail is closed north of Worthington. Please see the project information from the Ohio Department of Transportation, including an alternate route for the bike path. The bike path is expected to reopen by the end of November 2016.
New ramp for U.S. 23 south to SR 315
ODOT will build a new ramp from U.S. 23 south to SR 315. This will be separate from the U.S. 23 south to I-270 west ramp. ODOT will also build two bridges for traffic coming from U.S. 23 north and south going to I-270 west that will go over the ramp to SR 315.
New Lane for I-270 East to U.S. 23
ODOT will build an additional lane on I-270 east that starts just west of Linworth Rd. This new lane will be a bridge over top of the SR 315 ramp and will be the designated exit lane for I-270 east traffic to access U.S. 23.
New Ramp from SR 315 south to I-270 east and U.S. 23
ODOT will eliminate the "loop ramp" from SR 315 south to I-270 east and build a new "flyover ramp." There will also be a new bridge built for SR 315 north traffic that wants to go to I-270 east and U.S. 23. The new ramp from SR 315 north and south will be two lanes – one for traffic exiting at U.S. 23 and one for traffic staying on I-270 east. The combination of these new travel lanes means there will be less weaving and merging or "jockeying" for the same piece of pavement.
Additional lane of SR 315 north from SR 161 to I-270
Reconstruct part of the Olentangy Trail
About 1,000 feet of the Olentangy Trail will be reconstructed underneath the new interstate ramps at I-270 and SR 315. It is not safe for cyclists and pedestrians to use the trail during heavy highway construction. That's because heavy equipment will be stored on the trail to allow crews to build the bridge and piers that support the new ramp. For more information view the Olentangy Trail Alternate Route (PDF).
I-270 and US 23 Reconfiguration
Reconfigure two of the ramps at the interchange of I-270 and US 23
Two of the “loop ramps,” the ramp from I-270 E to US 23 N and the ramp from I270 W to US 23 S, have been reconfigured. ODOT added traffic signals at each of the new ramps to allow for better flow of traffic.