Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Wastes (HHWs) are not collected during the weekly solid waste collection, since the wastes are dangerous to people, animals and the environment. To encourage the proper disposal of HHW, the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) offers free collection drives four times a year from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm. A full schedule is available on the SWACO website.
Any resident of Franklin County can drop of wastes at the permanent HHW Center on Wednesdays and Fridays, from 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm, and Thursdays, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The center is located at:
645 E. 8th Ave.Columbus, OH 43201 (The corner of Essex Ave. and 8th Ave.)
- All fluorescent light bulbs
- Batteries - Nickel cadmium (NiCd and D006), mercuric oxide (D009), silver oxide (D011) and lithium batteries greater than 9 volts (D003)
- Fertilizers, pesticides and insecticides
- Gasoline, kerosene, lighter fluid and propane cylinders under 20 pounds
- Household cleaners and driveway sealers
- Non-latex paints, stains, polishes, thinners and waxes
- Spot removers, adhesives and pool chemicals
- Turpentine, mercury, antifreeze and cyanides
Storage & Packaging for Disposal
To store and package hazardous waste for disposal, be sure you store material in the original container that does not leak, label contents clearly, do not mix different or unknown materials and pack materials securely in sturdy boxes for transportation.