Financial Responsibility Information
- Ohio law requires all drivers to provide proof of financial responsibility (FR) when a ticket is issued.
- If you did not show FR proof to the officer, you must now show it to the court.
- Forms of insurance that the court can accept:
- Insurance Policy showing automobile liability insurance of at least $12,500 bodily injury per person, $25,000 injury two or more persons, and $7,500 property damage.
- Insurance ID Card with same coverage as policy.
- Surety Bond of $30,000 issued by an authorized surety company or insurance company.
- A BMV Certificate showing a Bond Secured by Real Estate having equity of at least $60,000.
- A BMV Certificate for Money or Government Bonds in the amount of $30,000 on deposit with the Ohio Treasurer of State.
- a BMV Certificate of Self-Insurance, available only to companies or persons who own at least twenty-six motor vehicles.
- FR proof must list:
- The vehicle that was being driven at the time the ticket was issued.
- The effective and ending dates of coverage.
- This date range must reflect coverage for the date the ticket was issued.
- Failure to provide proof of insurance will result in your driver’s license being suspended for a minimum of 90 days by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.