Go To Search
Carbon Monoxide
As another heating season begins, the City of Worthington Division of Fire and EMS is reminding local residents about the danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide Sources
Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is the by-product of incomplete combustion of fuel. Hundreds of people die in our country each year from Carbon Monoxide poisoning; but most deaths could be prevented through greater awareness and education.

Common sources of Carbon Monoxide are a malfunctioning or incorrectly vented furnace, hot water heater, space heater, fireplace, cooking stove or other type of fuel-burning equipment.

Misusing a charcoal grill or a cooking stove to warm a house and leaving a car, van or truck running in an attached garage are other possible Carbon Monoxide sources.

To prevent Carbon Monoxide problems, furnaces and fireplaces should be cleaned and inspected before each heating season. Carbon Monoxide detectors are useful to have in your home, as well, but are not foolproof, and should never be a substitute for regular furnace maintenance.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning may include any of the following symptoms: Headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, rapid heartbeat, loss of hearing, blurry vision, disorientation, loss of consciousness and respiratory failure.

Everyone is at risk, but individuals with health problems such as heart or lung diseases, the elderly, infants, children and pregnant women are especially vulnerable.

Anyone who experiences symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning should leave the premises at once, and call 911.

If you have any questions, or would like a free Carbon Monoxide check, please contact the City of Worthington Division of Fire and EMS, at 885-7640, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for more information.