Go To Search
RSSPrintEmail
TwitterFacebook
Firework Safety
It is extremely important to know the difference between a legal consumer firework and a dangerous explosive device. Items such as M-80s, M-100s and blockbusters are federally banned explosives, not fireworks. They can cause serious injury or even death, and users can incur fines. Never use any firework that isn't labeled with the name of the item, the manufacturer and instructions for proper use.

Fireworks are not toys, but designed to burn to produce motion or visible / audible effects. They burn at approximately the same temperature as a household match and can cause burns and ignite combustibles if used improperly. NEVER give fireworks to young children. Close, adult supervision of all fireworks activities is mandatory. Even sparklers can be unsafe if used improperly.

Select and use only legal devices. In Ohio, only sparklers, trick noisemakers and "novelties" are allowed. All others must be taken out of state within 48 hours of purchase by a resident. Stay away from illegal explosives which continue to cause serious injuries around the Fourth of July holiday. These devices are commonly known as M-80s, M-100s, blockbusters or quarter-pounders. Federally banned since 1966, these items will not contain the manufacturer's name and are usually totally unlabeled. Don't purchase or use unlabeled fireworks. If you are aware of anyone selling such devices, contact your local police department.

Homemade fireworks are deadly. Never attempt to make your own devices and do not purchase or use any kits that are advertised for making fireworks. Mixing and loading chemical powders is very dangerous and can kill or seriously injure you. Leave the making of fireworks to the experts.

Safety tips:
  • Always read and follow manufacturer's directions.
  • Adults should closely supervise.
  • Buy from reliable sellers.
  • Use outdoors only.
  • Always have water handy (a garden hose and a bucket).
  • Never experiment or make your own fireworks.
  • Light only one firework at a time.
  • Never re-light a "dud" firework (wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).
  • Never give fireworks to small children.
  • If necessary, store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
  • Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then disposing of them in your trash can.
  • Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
  • Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
  • Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
  • The shooter should always wear eye protection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
  • Stay away from illegal explosives.
If you require further information please contact us or visit fireworksafety.com .