Parks & Recreation
The Worthington Parks & Recreation team has been working on a plan to safely resume and reopen some facilities and programming based on current State protocols and safety guidelines.
Community Center - Fitness Floor & Pools
The Community Center fitness center and pools are open to members and non-members. People do not need to register in advance for the fitness center, but do need to register in advance to use the pools. See details here
Worthington Playgrounds Are Open
Worthington playgrounds are open with safety guidelines in place. Parks employees will be inspecting equipment and disinfecting high-touch surface areas prior to reopening. While staff will be cleaning equipment periodically, it will be the discretion of parents to judge their comfort level of children playing on playground equipment that will be used by multiple households. We ask that parents monitor their children while using the equipment, bring hand sanitizer and encourage hand washing. Families are also reminded to wear masks and practice safe social distancing. Signs will be posted with additional guidelines.
Previous Facility Updates
The City has carefully reviewed the protocols and, based on the guidelines and the advice of local health experts, has a plan in place to begin reopening some facilities. As facilities reopen, these safety measures already in place at a limited number of open City facilities, as well as other sector and sports-specific State protocols will be in place. Each location will be signed with specific safety protocols that each user is responsible for following. It is important for you to abide by these guidelines so that all users are protected and safe, and the facilities can remain open for the community to enjoy.
Please see the timeline below for information on all Parks & Recreation facilities and amenities that have been closed to the public. We will continue to provide information on our website as more details become available. Thank you for your patience as we work hard to responsibly bring back facilities and programs under the new standards.
- Phase One: Fitness Floor reopened in early June 2020. Continue Virtual Recreation Programming
- Later Phases: Additional Community Center facilities and recreation programming dependent on our ability to safely bring back and meet the new safety guidelines
Godown Dog Park
- Ball diamonds reopened June 2020 in coordination with local sports organizations.
- Soccer Fields - closed until further notice and pending public health clarification on safe practices for contact sports
- Reopened June 10th
- Closed until further notice and pending public health clarification on safe practices for contact sports
- Closed until further notice until restrictions on group gatherings are lifted or revised
- Outdoor restrooms are open.
- The Griswold Center remains closed. Opening protocols are to be determined. Virtual programming continues.
We will continue to provide information on our website as more details become available. Thank you for your patience as we work hard to responsibly bring back facilities and programs under the new standards.
Building and Department Specific Operations beginning May 11
Please make every attempt to conduct business on the phone, by email or virtual meeting.
Specific staff contact phone numbers and emails are available here
Parks & Recreation
Phone: 614-436-2743 – phones answered weekdays from 9am to 4pm.
The Parks and Recreation Department manages the programs and facilities located at both the Community Center and Griswold Center, as well as more than 200 acres of parkland in the City of Worthington.
To create community through exceptional parks, programs, facilities, and events
Worthington Parks & Recreation will…
- Provide safe, family-friendly environments
- Provide exceptional maintenance and cleanliness
- Lead in community health and wellness
- Provide innovative parks and recreation
- Be positive people providing fun interactions
- Strive for sustainable practices.