Candle Safety

Candle Causes House Fire

A candle is an open flame and can easily ignite any nearby combustible material.

It is probably not a surprise that a large number of fires caused by candles occur during the Christmas and New Year's holiday period.

Candle Safety Tips

    • Keep a person in every room where a candle is lit, and extinguish them when leaving the room or going to sleep.
    • Keep candles away from items that can catch fire, like clothing, books, and curtains.
    • Use candle holders that are study, won't tip over easily, are made from a material that cannot burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
    • Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
    • Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch and extinguish taper and pillar candles when they get to within two inches of the holder. Votives and containers should be extinguished before the last half-inch of wax starts to melt.
    • During power outages, avoid carrying a lit candle. Use flashlights instead.
    • Keep close tabs on your pets when candles are lit as the open flame piques their curiosity.

Cat Batting at Lit Candle