Proper installation and care of smoke detectors:
- Install a minimum of one smoke detector outside each sleeping area in your home.
- There should be at least one smoke detector installed on every level of your home.
- Mount smoke detectors on the ceiling at least 4 inches from any walls.
- Test your smoke detector monthly for proper operation according to the manufacturer's instructions. For most detectors, this simply requires pressing a 'test' button on the device until it sounds.
- Make sure you have an escape plan and practice it monthly when testing your smoke detectors. Make certain your plan includes a meeting place for all family members somewhere safely outside your home.
- Some detectors give a warning 'chirp' when the battery is low. However, a battery is a cheap investment in your family's safety. We recommend you change each detector's battery at least twice a year - "change your clock, change your batteries" is an easy way to remember.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are cleaned with the brush attachment of your vacuum at least twice a year. This removes dust which may cause the detector to malfunction or not alarm quickly when needed.
If your detector sounds, CALL 9-1-1
If your detector activates during cooking, taking showers, etc., do not remove the batteries or disconnect the power. Fan fresh air through the unit with a newspaper or magazine until the alarm stops. Removing the batteries temporarily may lead to loss of vital protection if you forget to re-install them later.