Identity Theft Unit
The Ohio Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section created an Identity Theft Unit to help victims rectify the effects of identity theft. The Unit offers two programs:
- A consumer advocate will work with credit agencies, creditors, collectors, or other organizations on the victim's behalf.
- Individuals must have a police report to participate in this program.
- This option is ideal for those who are not comfortable trying to correct the effects of identity theft themselves.
- Victims will receive a step-by-step guide to attempt to rectify the effects of identity theft themselves.
- The guide includes necessary contact information and form letters to dispute information on credit reports, dispute charges, or take other action