McCord Park Renovation Project
The City of Worthington completed a Parks Master Plan in 2017 that identified the renovation of McCord Park as one of its most critical park improvements. The plan identified specific improvements to be considered, including replacing the playground, adding a circular multi-use trail, replacing the aging restroom facilities, and more.
City Council approved funding to develop the McCord Park Master Plan which would engage the public and stakeholders about what they would like to see in the renovation. At the completion of the planning process in 2018, City Council approved a Conceptual Master Plan which identified the desired amenities to be included in the park renovations. This plan served as the guide for the design phase and park amenities including the playground, restroom, shelter houses, and more.
The City of Worthington contracted with POD Design, LLC on the final design and project management for bidding and construction.
McCord Park by the Numbers
- About 1,250 summer camp participants use McCord Park each year.
- About 1,100 preschool and youth participants in Community Center programming use the park each year.
- Approximately 9,000 people attend annual events in the park each year including Touch a Truck, National Night Out, and Paws in the Park.
- An average of 148 kids per week visit the Community Center as part of local daycares, school groups, camps, etc.
- The McCord Park ball diamonds and soccer fields were available to be reserved for 198 days in 2017. At least one of those fields was reserved on 193 of those days. On average the park has 1,900 visits per week (players only) because of field permits. Adding parents, siblings, and spectators that number would at least double to 3,800 per week.
- The Community Garden currently has 30 plots rented.
Residents are encouraged to bookmark this page and check back regularly for updates. You can also contact the Worthington Parks and Recreation Department at 614-436-2743 for more information.
Phase One - COMPLETED - October 17, 2022
- Replacement of playground equipment and safety surface
- Enlarging the athletic turf field and expanding parking opportunities
- Two reservable shelter houses
- Development and creation of a train observation area
- Addition of a multi-use trail around the Community Center that will eventually encircle the entire park in Phase Two
Phase Two - Under Construction
We are happy to share the latest updates on our on-going phase two renovations at McCord Park. Here is a look at the progress we have made this fall:
- Ball Diamond Upgrades: The park has seen substantial upgrades to its ball diamonds with the installation of artificial turf on all four infields, netted backstops, dugouts, and new fencing.
- Multi-Use Trail Opening: The new paved multi-use trail provides a half mile loop around the exterior of the ball diamonds and is now open to the public. We are still completing the trails and work between the diamonds so those remain closed. This trail will eventually provide access and connectivity to all the parks features as well as a great option for exercising outdoors.
- New Park Entrance: The renovated entrance now aligns with the drive across the street making entering and exiting the park safer and more efficient.
- Restroom and Storage Facility: The new restroom and storage building is under roof with exterior walls, the shelter overhang, and electrical work and plumbing completed. Over the winter, we will focus on wrapping up the interior finishes.
- Landscaping and Signage Improvements: New trees have been planted and landscaping work is underway around the park. In addition, new wayfinding signage has been added to help guide visitors around the park. The main entrance signage will be installed soon!
What’s Next? During the winter months, the fields will remain closed as we finalize the restroom and storage building, enclose the dugouts on all four ball diamonds, and generate a punch list of all the remaining items needing to be wrapped up in the early spring. We are on schedule to have the ball diamonds and the rest of the park open for usage by April 1, 2024. We appreciate your patience and support during the construction process!
We're thrilled to share the latest developments from our Phase II renovations this Summer:
- Ground-Level Focus: Plumbing and irrigation lines have been installed.
- Solid Foundations: The concrete groundwork for the restroom and fencing is now in place.
- Trail Connection: We've begun work on completing the half-mile multipurpose trail, adding a new dimension around the park.
With these milestones, we're excited about the ongoing transformation. Stay tuned for more updates as we progress!
With the weather cooperating, we're thrilled to share an update on the progress we've made during the second month of construction for Phase II renovations at McCord Park:
- Water Line: We've successfully relocated the water line to accommodate the new layout of the restroom and ball diamonds.
- Infields: The infields have been cut to grade.
- Building Pad: The building pad has been installed, providing a solid foundation for the future restroom and storage facility.
- Drainage Basins and Irrigation: We've removed and replaced the drainage basins and many of the drainage tiles, ensuring better drainage and playing conditions on the fields.
While most of the progress this month has primarily been at the ground level, we're eagerly anticipating the next steps. In the upcoming weeks, we’ll commence the installation of the restroom and infield fencing, marking significant milestones in the transformation of McCord Park.
We're excited to share an update on the progress we've made during the first month of construction on Phase II renovations at McCord Park! Here's a summary of our achievements so far:
- Safety Fencing: To prioritize everyone's safety, we have implemented protective fencing around the construction area.
- Demolition: The existing fencing, restrooms, and other facilities have been cleared to make way for the new design.
- Clearing: The asphalt around the parking area has been extracted, creating space for future developments.
- Preparation: Currently, we are focused on leveling and preparing the ground for the construction of the new ball diamonds and restroom/storage facility.
The project is on schedule, but there's still much more to look forward to in Phase II of the renovation. Keep an eye out for the fields to begin taking shape and the footprint of the trail layout to start to be visible!