The Worthington community will once again celebrate Independence Day with Fireworks on the Fourth of July, however, the Rotary Family Picnic is delayed until Labor Day weekend.
The fireworks display will begin at approximately 10:00 p.m on Sunday, July 4th at Thomas Worthington High School (TWHS). There is plenty of viewing space for people to spread out on the high school grounds. The stadium will be open, and people are also invited to enjoy the display from the front lawn and other areas surrounding the high school. The Flats and Olentangy Bike Trail are closed during the fireworks.
Although we are pleased to be able to bring this Worthington tradition back to the community, we are still mindful that pandemic conditions exist. People who are unvaccinated are asked to wear masks and keep physically distant from others who are not in your household.
In the case of impending severe thunderstorms, lightning, and wind, City and safety officials will evaluate the circumstances and may determine the display be set off early or postponed. In the event the fireworks are postponed, the rain date is set as the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, September 5th. If a severe storm hits before or during the display, the high school gym will be open as an emergency shelter. Updates will be posted on the City's Facebook page.
Rotary Family Picnic Postponed to Labor Day Weekend
While fireworks are on for the Fourth of July, the Rotary Family Picnic, which is normally the centerpiece of the community’s Independence Day celebration, has been postponed until the Labor Day weekend. The specific date is still being determined. Uncertainty about COVID-19 regulations regarding large-group gatherings earlier this spring impeded planning for the July 4th event.
Organized by the Dublin-Worthington Rotary Club, the 16th annual event will feature children’s games, food and music on the front lawn of Thomas Worthington High School. There is no admission fee to participate in the Family Picnic. Proceeds from the event, generated largely through sponsorships, are used for service projects that make a difference in the lives of families and individuals in our community. FCBank is this year’s presenting sponsor. For other sponsorship opportunities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Limited parking will be available at the TWHS parking lot to the west and north of the building. Handicap parking is available in the northwest TWHS parking lot near the stadium, the Farrington/161 drive into the school grounds, and other existing spots near the TWHS and McConnell Arts Center entrances.
Because parking always fills up early, people who are able are encouraged to park outside of the high school neighborhood area, carpool, walk or bike. The municipal lots in the downtown area will be available for people to park and walk to the high school grounds.
To maintain access for emergency vehicles and facilitate traffic movement it will be necessary to post certain streets “No Parking" on July 4th. Parking restrictions will be lifted following the event.
The areas to be posted "No Parking" are:
- SR-161 – both sides from Evening St. to the Olentangy River Rd. bridge
- SR-161 service roads – both sides
- Evening St. south– both sides from SR-161 to W. New England Ave.
- Evening St. north - both sides from SR-161 to W. North St.
- Evening St. north - east side only between W. North St. and Highgate Ave.
- After the fireworks, Evening St. will be temporarily shut down to vehicular traffic between Evening St. Elementary and the McConnell Arts Center to allow for the outflow of t.
- W. North St. - both sides between Evening St. and High St.
- W. Clearview - both sides between Evening St and Oxford St.
- W. Stafford - both sides between Evening St and Oxford St.
- W. Stafford - south side between Oxford St. and High St.
- W. New England Ave. – north side only, west of Oxford
- Oxford St. - both sides between SR-161 and West North St.
- Farrington Dr. - north side only
- Seabury Dr. - west side only
- Sinsbury Dr. N. - north side only
- Blanford Dr. - north side only
- Sanbridge Circle - north side only
- Medick Way – both sides
- Tucker Dr. - north side only
- Tucker N.W. - both sides
City Holiday Hours of Operation
- Due to the Fourth of July holiday falling on Sunday, there is no change to trash, recycling and yard waste collection for this holiday week. Trash, recycling and yard waste will be collected as scheduled on Friday, July 2 and Friday, July 9.
- The Community Center will be closed on Sunday, July 4.
- City administrative offices will be closed on Monday, July 5 in recognition of the holiday.